Search within Burlington results
Burlington Historical Society plaqued houses


Records
We found 80 matching items.
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
BHS Century plaque, "Locust Lodge" on Guelph Line,  now 2477 Glenwood School Drive, 1989 
Image  August 1989  The building date is now thought to be 1834.
1222 Richmond Road, built for Joseph Collinson 1874 
Image  2004  Known as "The Collinson-Babcock House" this vernacular-style brick farmhouse was built in 1874 for Joseph Collinson. The house has been re-oriented so that the north side elevation, with its center gable and decorative "gingerbread" bargeboard above an arched window, is now the front elevation on...
415 Burlington Avenue, August 2008 
Image  August 2008  Built in 1895 by Burlington's master builder A. B. Coleman and sold to George Noyes and his wife Josephine. Noyes was a barber on Brant Street, who advertised his services as a "tonsorial artist". The house originally faced the lake and was later re-oriented to face Burlington Avenue. It was...
1358 Ontario Street, 2008 
Image  August 2008  One of Burlington's very few remaining semi-detached houses. 1358 and 1360 were built on part of Benjamin Eager's development Plan 65 by James Eager in 1874. Eager's "Brant House Summer Resort & European Hotel", illustrated in the 1877 Historical Atlas of Halton County, page 59, was constructed...
461 Elizabeth Street, Knox Presbyterian Church 1877 
Image  2004  The main building is a solid brick structure with dichromatic pilasters, mullions and radiating voussoirs with drip edges above the Gothic lancet windows. The front entrance vestible was added in 1910. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is on the pilaster that faces James Street. The...
2464 Dundas Street, St. John's Anglican Church built 1839 
Image  2004  A one-storey frame structure with a two-storey square tower which has a hipped roof. The entrance door is on the east side of the tower; the front of the tower has a lancet Gothic window which matches those on the side elevations of the church. The Burlington Historical Society Plaque is to the...
497 Elizabeth Street, built for James Allen in 1866 
Image  2004  A two-storey frame structure, much altered, on a rubble foundation. The front door has a divided transom and side lights. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is on the front of the house beside the current bay window. A log cabin was built here in 1842 for "Dr Elizabeth" Mayhew This house...
2357 Lakeshore Road, built by Jeremiah Lane 1872 
Image  2004  Either built or rebuilt by Jeremiah Lane, carpenter. A one-and-half-storey frame cottage with a high hipped roof broken by a hipped-roof front dormer. The shed-roofed verandah is screened with replacement gingerbread brackets creating an attractive frame. This house was built in 1872 or earlier....
2411 Lakeshore Road, built for Thomas Hiram Alton 1890 
Image  2004  Originally a two-and-a-half-storey frame structure built in Queen Anne Revival style in 1890. It was clad with wood shiplap siding. There is a long projecting side verandah with two entrances. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is missing. Notice the scaffolding beside the house as the...
2343 Lakeshore Road, built for George Hamilton Greene in 1881 
Image  2004  A one-and-a-half-storey end-gabled frame structure with a projecting front-gabled wing. A high peaked front gable has a narrow Gothic-arched window. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is missing. In 1876 the Reverend Dr. Thomas Greene, the first rector of St Luke's Anglican Church,...
1370 Ontario Street, St. Luke's Anglican Church 1834 
Image  2004  This Gothic Revival frame church was originally clad with wooden siding. It has small lancet windows and a mall rose window This is the view of the church facing north. The front of the church faces south and has an avenue of Acacia trees leading to the Lake. The Burlington Historical Society...
4065 Guelph Line, built for Edward Thomas in 1850 
Image  2004  This home is a good example of Gothic vernacular farm house construction and is one of the very few remaining in the city. The thick course rubble construction with uniform pointing, topped by a centre gable roof, decorated with geometric bargeboard, is typical of farm houses built in that era....
5800 Guelph Line, Lowville United Church 1872 
Image  2004  Built in 1872 to replace a smaller frame building, this is a solid brick structure on a fieldstone foundation. The pleasant proportions and the strong, simple decoration of this spacious church make it a fine example of mid-Victorian vernacular Gothic Revival style. The Burlington Historical...
2437 Dundas Street, Nelson United Church built 1859 
Image  2005  A one-storey church in the Neo-Classic "meeting house" style, built of coursed cut fieldstone. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is on the front wall of the main part of the building. An earlier frame church stood west of this building on land deeded in 1830 by Moses McCay. This stone...
2373 Dundas Street, Springer homestead built 1840 
Image  2004  A five-bay two-storey structure built of coursed dressed stone in a vernacular Neo-Classic style. The end-gabled roof has chimneys at each end. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is not visible. Built in 1840/1 for David Reynolds Springer and his second wife Susannah Thomson. They first...
1441 Ontario Street,  2004 
Image  2004  This one-storey frame cottage with later additions is clad with replacement wood shingles. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is not visible. According to Gerarda Tino, this building was first constructed on the Brant Street site of the old town hall and library. It was moved to this lot...
241 Plains Road East, 2004 
Image  2004  The front elevation is south and it is at the corner of Gallagher Ave. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is not visible. This property was part of the farm of David Fonger. John Gallagher bought part of this farm in 1879 and that year built a large barn. In the following year he built...
918 Shadeland Avenue, 2004 
Image  2004  A one-and-a-half-storey frame structure with a low gabled roof and a central chimney. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is missing. Built in 1870 for David Fonger.
403 Smith Avenue, 2004
 
Image  2004  Burlington Historical Plaque beside the front door says: "William Dalton, Farmer, 1890" Built for John Dalton in 1890. A one-and-a-half-storey vernacular brick farmhouse, like the other houses built about the same time by George Blair: 349, 367 and 433.
472 Elizabeth Street, 2004 
Image  2004  A one-and-a-half storey brick structure with high pitched end-gabled roof and a centre front gable. The Burlington Historical Society plaque is on the front of the house on the far right. Built in 1862 for Captain Daniel Henderson.
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Burlington Historical Society plaqued houses